August 22, 2012

Change is Radical

Radical: thoroughgoing or extreme, especially as regards change from accepted or traditional forms 


Have you ever wanted to do something radical? I mean really radical? You know... those things that seem to freak people out just a little bit. Those ideas that make people look at you with questioning eyes because they are trying to figure out if you are being sarcastic or if you should be institutionalized. No one ever seems to respond well to radical ideas. They are the thoughts that always seem to be just outside of people's understanding and acceptance.

The world is full of normal people doing normal things, living what is considered a "normal" life. Let me tell you, history wasn't made by normal people. The authors of history were those people who had a radical idea and decided to do something about it. For example, let's look at the existence of the United States of America. The world may not even know that this humongous piece of land existed if it hadn't been for one man, Christopher Columbus. Yes, the Native Americans were here first, and yes, Columbus did miss North America when he first landed. However, because Columbus dared to believe the radical idea that the world was round, he went out on a search for a new path to India. As a result of his crazy hypothesis, he put North and South America on the map and opened up the possibility for the United States of America to exist as it is today. History would not have remembered Christopher Columbus if he had believed the world was flat. History would not have remembered him if he was "normal."

"Crazy people change things."

There are some traditions that exist that I don't think should be broken. Traditions became traditions and continue to exist as traditions because they are worth being traditions. They have real validity. At the same time, there are some "traditions" that only exist because they are either comforts or habits. Those are hard to break because we are creatures of habit, and we enjoy our comforts. Radical ideas require change, and a lot of people, including myself, don't usually like change. Change is hard.

I want to do something radical, no matter how hard it is. I don't know exactly what it's going to look like , but I'm going to do it. Most of my life has been spent collecting a vast number of inquiring looks. My bank of odd stares is probably much bigger than my bank of hard earned cash. If it was as easy to earn money as it was to earn suspicious glances, I would be rich. Either way, I want to do something that will change history. I want to be history's next author. It's a lot harder to change the world than it is to go along with it. Radical ideas don't make themselves. They take work, dedication, and probably a lot of rejection, but it's worth it in the end. What will people say about me when I die? How will people remember me? I want to do something to bring hope and a brighter future for millions of people. Affecting change requires being changed. If I want do something radical, it means that I have to be radical first. It's impossible to expect someone to believe my radical idea if I don't live it out. The crazy thoughts in my mind are still nothing but a dense fog; they lack clarity and resolution. What I do know is that as I continue to walk forward, without fear or hesitation, I will see my radical ideas come into focus. I will find them and accomplish them. Then, maybe, just maybe, your kids will read my name in history class. 


"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Gandhi 

No comments:

Post a Comment